Tennessee is looking to recapture its glory from the 1990s. Join us daily at SEC Country for the latest Tennessee recruiting news and notes on the next crop of Volunteers. In this edition, we discuss the shortened lists for two 3-star defensive end targets — Caleb Tannor from Georgia and Deuntra Hyman from Mississippi — and a new quarterback offer for the Class of 2019.
V0ls make top 5 for Caleb Tannor
Tennessee is still seeking its first edge rusher in the Class of 2018 to pair with DT Brant Lawless.
The Vols got good news on the front Sunday night when 3-star Lithonia, Ga., DE Caleb Tannor released his top 5, which included Tennessee along with LSU, Auburn, Georgia and Florida.
— Caleb Tannor 2️⃣1️⃣® (@cvleb10) May 22, 2017
The list, which came out the day after his spring game at Miller Grove High School, was the second in about a month for Tannor, who released his top 10 at the end of April. Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Mississippi State and South Carolina were the schools that Tannor eliminated from his top 10.
Tannor made a trip to Knoxville shortly after releasing his top 10. The nation’s No. 18 weakside defensive end has accumulated nearly 30 offers with nearly all of them coming in 2017.
Mississippi DE Deuntra Hyman drops top 7
Tannor wasn’t the only defensive lineman to give the Vols good news over the weekend.
On Friday, Hyman, a 3-star defensive end out of Meridian, Miss., included Tennessee in his top 7, along with Ole Miss, Kentucky, Mississippi State, Kansas, Purdue and Louisville.
Respect It‼️ Let The Mission Begin‼️ pic.twitter.com/YhD3yvzsWD
— Punn(228) (@DeuntraHyman) May 20, 2017
These schools are not necessarily the only seven that will have a chance at Hyman, however. He indicated in his tweet that he’s still receptive to other offers, and he has been evaluated by Alabama, so another productive season could shake things up. Hyman ranks as the No. 27 weakside defensive end and is the third best defensive lineman in Mississippi for the Class of 2019.
Hyman had 14 offers with schools like Alcorn State, Florida Atlantic, Louisiana Tech and Troy failing to make the cut. He was a highly productive player as a junior in 2016, recording 19 sacks and 63 tackles for Meridian High School.
The two big in-state schools, Ole Miss and Mississippi State, are the two schools expected to fight it out for Hyman’s commitment. So far, 75 percent of his 247Sports crystal ball projections point toward the Bulldogs while Ole Miss has the other 25 percent.
Top 2019 dual-threat QB Roschon Johnson draws Tennessee offer
Now that Tennessee has its likely 2018 quarterbacks in Adrian Martinez and Michael Penix, the Vols can turn their attention to the 2019 quarterback class.
That’s produced a couple new quarterback offers over the last couple weeks and one more over the weekend after 4-star Port Neches, Texas, QB Roschon Johnson tweeted that he received an offer from Tennessee.
— r_johnson1 (@RoschonJ) May 19, 2017
Neches is the second dual-threat quarterback to receive an offer from the Vols in the Class of 2019 along with 4-star Auburn legacy Bo Nix.
Neches ranks as the No. 3 dual-threat quarterback and No. 143 overall player in the class according to 247Sports. Tennessee was his 12th offer, and other schools on the list include Texas, Baylor, Florida, Oklahoma and Penn State.
Texas is already the favorite to land the in-state product, who threw for 2,318 yards and 26 touchdowns while rushing for 1,650 yards and 30 touchdowns.
Miss a previous edition? Find all your SEC Country Tennessee Vols recruiting news here.