Tennessee football received a commitment Thursday night from punter Paxton Brooks.
Brooks brings the Vols commitment total in the Class of 2018 to 21.
Tennessee had pursued a punter since Skyler Delong flipped from the Vols to Alabama in June.
Here’s an early glance where things stand for the Vols’ Class of 2018:
Where Tennessee’s class ranks
Tennessee ranks as the No. 6 class in the country and the best in the SEC. The Vols hold one 5-star commit, offensive tackle Cade Mays, and eight 4-star prospects.
Six of the top-9 players from the Volunteer State in the Class of 2018 have committed to the Vols.
One spot closed at the moment is the running back position. The Vols have two commitments from Lyn-J Dixon and Anthony Grant. Dixon has started to receive interest in the past month from Clemson, though. Tennessee has kept interest going in other running back prospects such as Demarcus Townsend.
There won’t be much of a shake up unless Dixon decides to flip.
In case you missed anything from this week, here are the latest headlines:
Offers by the numbers
- Reported offers: 362
- 5-star offers: 21
- 4-star offers: 194
- In-state recruits offered: 25
- Florida recruits offered: 91
- Georgia recruits offered: 62
- Texas recruits offered: 24
- OT Cade Mays, 5-star, Knoxville, Tenn.
- DE Greg Emerson, 4-star, Jackson, Tenn.
- WR Alontae Taylor, 4-star, Manchester, Tenn.
- QB Adrian Martinez, 4-star, Fresno, Calif.
- S Brendon Harris, 4-star, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- DT D’Andre Litaker, 4-star Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- RB Lyn-J Dixon, 4-star Butler, Ga.
- DT Brant Lawless, 4-star Murfreesboro, Tenn.
- S Trey Dean, 4-star Hampton, Tenn.
- LB Matthew Flint, 3-star, Gurley, Ala.
- DE Dorian Gerald, 3-star, Valencia, Calif.
- DT Jamarcus Chatman, 3-star, Rome, Ga.
- RB Anthony Grant, 3-star, Buford, Ga.
- QB Michael Penix, 3-star, Tampa, Fla.
- TE Jacob Warren, 3-star Knoxville, Tenn.
- WR Jatavious Harris, 3-star, Milledgeville, Ga.
- OG Ollie Lane, 3-star, Corryton, Tenn.
- OT Tanner Antonutti, 3-star, Nashville, Tenn.
- CB Brandon Cross, 3-star, Orlando, Fla.
- CB Tanner Ingle, 3-star, Orlando, Fla.
- P Paxton Brooks, N/R, West Columbia, S.C.
5 top uncommitted targets
4-star OLB Adam Anderson, Rome, Ga.
Adam Anderson de-committed from LSU on July 6 and has visited Tennessee, Georgia, Clemson and Alabama since. Georgia seems the likely favorite to land the in-state talent.
The commitment to Tennessee by Anderson’s friend and teammate, Chatman, will give the Volunteers a shot.
4-star CB Jaycee Horn, Alpharetta, Ga.
Tennessee has come back from the dead in Horn’s recruitment. Horn cut his list to South Carolina and Alabama early in July with an anticipated commitment date of July 15. The commitment date came and went with no decision.
The more Horn delays his decision, the more it seems Tennessee has a shot. South Carolina’s chances seem to be dwindling.
3-star OT Jerome Carvin, Cordova, Tenn.
Carvin reduced his list to 10 on June 12, but Tennessee and Alabama have remained the leaders. Tennessee holds commitments from four offensive linemen, so Carvin could be leaning toward the Crimson Tide.
Carvin’s good friend, Jordan Davis, is a Crimson Tide commit, which is another knock against the Vols.
Carvin will be taking an official visit to Arkansas this fall, which means another SEC team the Vols are up against.
4-star OLB Richard Jibunor, Athens, Ga.
Richard Jibunor had a 1-on-1 interview with SEC Country’s Benjamin Wolk, and the linebacker made it clear who his top-2 teams are going forward: Tennessee and Auburn.
Tennessee will take on one more linebacker this class, either Anderson or Jibunor. The Vols don’t appear to be in the lead for either at the moment, but they are within striking distance.
When schools are close and it comes down to the wire in recruiting, anything can happen.
3-star WR Shocky Jacques-Louis, Fort Myers, Fla.
Tennessee holds commitments at wide receiver from Taylor and Harris, but the Volunteers likely will welcome one or two more pass catchers.
Shocky Jacques-Louis de-committed from Kentucky on June 11, but the Wildcats remain in the hunt. Tennessee and Kentucky appear to be the two front runners.
Jacques-Louis updated his twitter picture to an avatar wearing a Vols uniform.
Here’s a breakdown of the number of commits by position:
- QB: 2 (Martinez, Penix)
- RB: 2 (Dixon, Grant)
- TE: 1 (Warren)
- WR: 2 (Taylor, Harris)
- OL: 3 (Mays, Lane, Antonutti)
- DL: 5 (Lawless, Litaker, Emerson, Gerald, Chatman)
- LB: 1 (Flint)
- CB: 2 (Ingle, Cross)
- S: 2 (Harris, Dean)
- P: 1 (Brooks)
Here’s a breakdown of Tennessee’s commits by state:
- Tennessee: 9 (Mays, Emerson, Litaker, Lawless, Taylor, Antonutti, Lane, Harris, Warren)
- Georgia: 5 (Dean, Dixon, Grant, Harris, Chatman)
- Florida: 3 (Penix, Ingle, Cross)
- California: 2 (Martinez, Gerald)
- Alabama: 1 (Flint)
- South Carolina: 1 (Brooks)