KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee softball has a path for what would be an eighth Women’s College World Series appearance that goes through Georgia.
The No. 10-seed Lady Vols (48-12) play the No. 7-seed Bulldogs (46-11) in a best-of-three series at Jack Turner Stadium in one of the most anticipated NCAA Tournament Super Regionals in the nation.
Tennessee and Georgia are bitter softball rivals, their mutual respect being tested each year as they recruit some of the same top-level talent in the South.
The Bulldogs snapped what had been an 11-game losing streak to Tennessee earlier this season in convincing — and historical fashion.
Georgia became the first team to run-rule the Lady Vols program in back-to-back games, winning 8-0 and 9-1 in six-inning contests on April 1 and April 2.
Tennessee star Meghan Gregg said the Lady Vols are a different team than they were then, and co-head coach Karen Weekly agreed.
“We were definitely at a low point in our season when Georgia came in here,” Weekly said after Tennessee won the NCAA Tournament Knoxville Regional on Sunday. “I’m not sure it would have mattered who it was coming in, but Georgia capitalized on every mistake we made, whether it was physical or like they alluded, being mentally not resilient.
“But that was a long time ago, and I think we’re a different team, and we’ve learned a lot as the season has gone on.”
Tennessee softball at Georgia game times
Friday: Tennessee at Georgia 5 p.m.
Saturday: Tennessee at Georgia 3 p.m.
Sunday: Tennessee at Georgia 3 p.m.
Tennessee softball at Georgia on TV
Friday: Tennessee at Georgia 5 p.m. ESPNU
Saturday: Tennessee at Georgia 3 p.m. ESPN
Sunday: Tennessee at Georgia 3 p.m. (if necessary) ESPN
Tennessee softball at Georgia online viewing
Friday: Tennessee at Georgia 5 p.m. WatchESPN
Saturday: Tennessee at Georgia 3 p.m. WatchESPN
Sunday: Tennessee at Georgia 3 p.m. WatchESPN
Tennessee softball at Georgia on radio
Friday: Tennessee at Georgia 5 p.m. WNML-990 AM
Saturday: Tennessee at Georgia 3 p.m. WNML-990 AM
Sunday: Tennessee at Georgia 3 p.m. WNML-990 AM
Tennessee softball at Georgia things to know
• Tennessee softball tied its school record with 26 runs in an NCAA Regional
• It’s the second straight season Tennessee has played an SEC team in Super Regionals
• Meghan Gregg became the Lady Vols all-time NCAA tourney home runs leader with 8
• Georgia is the SEC’s top hitting team and No. 3 in the nation with a .338 batting average
• Tennessee was 3rd in the SEC and 22nd in the country with a .310 bating average
• UT’s Aubrey Leach has top batting average in SEC and No. 10 in the nation (.447)
• Georgia’s Cortni Emanuel is 2nd in SEC and No. 16 in nation with .437 batting average
• Georgia’s Alyssa DiCarlo is tied for tops in SEC with 19 home runs and 9th in nation
• Meghan Gregg is third in SEC and 16th in nation with 18 home runs this season