KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee’s 2017 softball team is on the verge of establishing its legacy, after a season featuring more ups than downs.
“All three of these teams coming in here are capable of beating us, that’s just the way the game works,” Lady Vols co-head coach Ralph Weekly said.
“There are no givens in this tournament, you have to come out and play one game at a time and respect your opponent, and we do.”
Tennessee coaches Ralph & Karen Weekly and Lady Vols players Meghan Gregg and Megan Geer discuss NCAA Tournament
Posted by SEC Country on Sunday, May 14, 2017
SEC Player of the Year Meghan Gregg made it clear after the selection show on Sunday night revealed the team mood.
“We’re never satisfied, it’s never enough, there is constantly learning and getting better,” Gregg said Sunday night after learning the Lady Vols would open with Big South Tournament champion Longwood on Friday.
“There is no top, you keep wanting more for yourself.”
Tennessee Softball Regional Field
- No 2 regional seed Ohio State (35-16), Big Ten at-large
- No. 3 regional seed USC-Upstate (44-11) Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament champions for the third straight season
- No. 4 regional seed Longwood (28-27) Big South Conference Tournament champions for the third straight season
Tennessee Softball Regional Format
The four-team regional round of the NCAA Tournament uses a double-elimination format, meaning a team will be eliminated after losing two games.
Tennessee Softball Regional Game Times
(All times ET)
4:30 p.m. Game 1: Ohio State vs. USC Upstate (WatchESPN)
7 p.m. Game 2: Tennessee vs. Longwood (ESPN2)
Game 3: Game 1 winner vs. Game 2 winner, noon
Game 4: Game 1 loser vs. Game 2 loser (Elimination game), 2:30 p.m.
Game 5: Game 3 loser vs. Game 4 winner (Elimination game), 5 p.m.
Game 6: Game 3 winner vs. Game 5 winner, noon
Game 7 (if necessary): Game 6 winner vs. Game 6 loser, 2:30 p.m.
Tennessee Softball How to watch online
Television broadcasts for the NCAA softball regionals are announced on a daily basis depending on how the prior games finished. Meanwhile, all games will be live streamed online on WatchESPN.
Tennessee Softball Stats and Numbers
• Tennessee is making its 15th NCAA Tournament appearance and 14th in a row.
• The Lady Vols have played in seven Women’s College World Series in their previous 15 tournament appearances.
• Tennessee was 16-7 against Top 25 RPI teams this season
• The Lady Vols played 10 of the NCAA Tournament’s top 16 seeds, eight of them from the SEC.
• No. 2 regional seed Ohio State will make its second consecutive postseason trip to Knoxville after being eliminated by Tennessee in the NCAA Knoxville Regional last year. Ohio State is making its ninth NCAA Regional appearance after posting a 35-16 overall record and a 15-8 mark in Big Ten play, good for a third-place finish. The Buckeyes were the runner-up in the Big Ten Tournament, falling to Minnesota in the championship game.
• No. 3 regional seed USC Upstate is making its fifth consecutive NCAA Regional appearance after winning the Atlantic Sun Tournament title for the third straight season. Upstate was also the league’s regular-season champion after posting a 14-4 record in conference play and a 44-11 mark overall.
• No. 4 regional seed Longwood is making its fourth appearance in the NCAA Regionals, with all four of those trips coming over the past five seasons. This is the third time Longwood has been sent to the NCAA Knoxville Regional with previous trips in 2013 and 2015.