KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee point guard Jordan Bone is a talented, eager-to-please rising sophomore needing only direction and positive reinforcement.
At least, that’s certainly how it seems after talking with Bone about his performance in the Pilot Rocky Top League this summer.
Bone got beaten by a Division II Lincoln-Memorial player for the game-winning basket in his team’s opener, “and he played really hard in every game after that,” said league commissioner Andre Whitehead.
Bone explained why.
“Coach [Rick Barnes] put the bug in my ear and said you’ve got to take advantage of it every time you’re playing, it doesn’t matter who you are playing against,” Bone said. “You never know when the ball is going to stop bouncing, so I put that in my head that every time I step on the court, I need to give it my all.”
Former Knoxville Central and Minnesota star point guard Dre Mathieu was matched up against Bone in the summer league playoffs and came away impressed.
“I’d watched Bone on TV last year and I like his game a lot. He knows how to change speeds really well, and he’s a really good decision-maker,” Mathieu said. “His jump shot is better than I thought. He shoots it really well. He’s really talented, and he could do big things this season.”
Rising junior Admiral Schofield was the most impressive of the Vols’ players in summer league action, while Whitehead said Kyle Alexander showed the most improvement since the end of last season.
Here’s a look at the summer league shooting percentages and scoring averages of the Tennessee players — past and present — from the 5-game schedule each played at Knoxville Catholic High School:
(Note: past players in italics)
- Admiral Schofield: 37.0 PPG; 64.5%FG; 38% 3PT-FG; 11-15 FT-FTA
- Jalen Johnson: 24.3 PPG; 73.2% FG; 19% 3PT-FG; 1-3 FT-FTA
- Jordan Bowden: 19.0 PPG; 75% FG; 36.7% 3PT-FG; 0-0 FT-FTA
- Jordan Bone: 17.8 PPG; 53.5% FG; 32.4% 3PT-FG; 10-12 FT-FTA
- Bobby Maze: 17.33 PPG; 75% FG; 18.8% 3PT-FG; 7-10 FT-FTA
- Lew Evans: 15.5 PPG; 71.4% FG; 35% 3PT-FG; 0-2 FT-FTA
- Chris Darrington: 15.25 PPG; 38.1%FG; 36.4% 3PT-FG; 9-12 FT-FTA
- Kyle Alexander: 15.0 PPG; 71.7% FG; 15.4% 3PT-FG; 3-8 FT-FTA
- Derrick Walker: 14.0 PPG; 49.2% FG; 0% 3PT-FG; 12-22 FT-FTA
- Brad Woodson: 13.8 PPG; 60% FG; 36.5% 3PT-FG; 0-0 FT-FTA
- Grant Williams: 12.2 PPG; 71.0% FG; 28.6% 3PT-FG; 5-6 FT-FTA
- Wayne Chism: 11.3 PPG; 71.4% FG; 33.3% 3PT-FG; 2-2 FT-FTA
- Jacob Fleschman: 7.8 PPG; 40.0% FG; 36.7% 3PT-FG; 2-2 FT-FTA
- Zach Kent: 6.3 PPG; 54.5% FG; 42.9% 3PT-FG; 4-6 FT-FTA
- Lucas Campbell: 5.33 PPG; 33.3% FG; 36.4% 3PT-FG; 0-1 FT-FTA
Tennessee basketball has had limited practices this summer as the team prepares for a trip to Spain and France Aug. 2-12.