KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Tennessee slipped past Ohio 28-19 on Saturday, moving to 3-0 for the first time since 2004.
It was a sloppy win, full of fumbles (5 — all recovered by Volunteers), penalties (9 for 94 yards) and porous offensive line play.
Still, Tennessee extended its winning-streak to 9 games — the school’s longest run since 1998-99.
Stay tuned for Butch Jones updates.
* Jones still not here. Giving his team a good tongue-lashing after another sluggish performance? One thing we know for sure, Jones WILL NEVER apologize for a win. Can almost count on him saying that in ~ five minutes.
* While we wait: Some quick stats. Quarterback Josh Dobbs was 19 of 27 for 203 yards, 2 touchdowns and an interception. He was sacked 3 times and ran for 85 yards.
* “First of all, another gritty win.” Praises freshman Baylen Buchanan for a well-deserved shoutout.
* Senior All-SEC cornerback Cam Sutton will be out “an extended amount of time.” … “You give me 11 Cam Sutton’s and we’ll win a lot of games.”
* Jones called penalties “catastrophic.”
* “We started fast but this team lacks consistency right now.”
* Praises Derek Barnett’s effort today.
* Jones super terse today. “The penalties are inexcusable. The fumbles are inexcusable. … I’m pulling my hair out.” … “You’re like my wife. You just bring out all the things that (frustrate) me.”
* Jones thought RB Alvin Kamara “really stepped up,” thought the RB played a great game.
* No comment on OL plays, says he needs to see the film firm. Does add “we’re searching.”
* Jalen Reeves-Maybin exited with a shoulder injury. Does not know status for UF game.
* Jones believes Tennessee practices better than its showing. “That’s the thing that’s frustrating. You don’t see it during the week.”
* “It’s taking the fruits of your labor and taking it to the game.”
* Jones “really proud” of Josh Malone. Said he’s really stepped up, has a high-level of consistency.
* Tennessee red zone defense: “Our red zone efficiency is what won us the football game. I told our team that.”
* “We’re decimated with injuries. … We’re going to need some other players to step up.”
* “We’re going to face a really, really good team next week. … We have to get better in a hurry.”