Tennessee has goteen off to slow starts in just about every game this year.
And yet the Volunteers have gotten off to a 5-0 start thanks to some late rallies. But with the Volunteers taking on No. 8 Texas A&M, Tennessee couldn’t afford to get off to a poor start.
Unfortunately the Volunteers fell behind 21-7 thanks to some costly turnovers. The Volunteers, the No. 9 team in the country, have now been outscored 62-17 in the opening 15 minutes.
#Tennessee again in a deep hole but Aggies are best team UT's faced yet. Vols have now been outscored 62-17 in the first quarter.
— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB) October 8, 2016
Here is a complete look at how the Volunteers did in the first quarter this year.
- The Volunteers trailed 7-3 at the end of the first quarter against Appalachian State.
- They trailed 14-0 after the first quarter against Virginia Tech.
- Tennessee actually led 7-6 against Ohio.
- The Volunteers trailed 7-0 against Florida after the first 15 minutes.
- Tennessee fell behind 7-0 in the Georgia game in the game’s opening quarter.
- And the Volunteers fell behind 21-7 against Texas A&M today.
This is now the fifth consecutive game that the Volunteers have fallen behind by double digits. Naturally, the internet was quick to joke about the Volunteers falling behind early again.
Fifth consecutive game Tennessee has trailed by at least 10 points. Vols obviously won previous 4
— Brett McMurphy (@McMurphyESPN) October 8, 2016
Once again, Tennessee has 'em right where they want 'em.
— Stewart Mandel (@slmandel) October 8, 2016
Congrats to Texas A&M for taking a multiple score lead against Tennessee, which is 4-0 in games they've trailed by multiple scores
— Rodger Sherman (@rodger_sherman) October 8, 2016
Tough break for Texas A&M, going up 21-7 on Tennessee. Congrats, Vols.
— Kyle Tucker (@KyleTucker_AJC) October 8, 2016