It’s a good time to be a Texas A&M fan, as the Aggies entered the bye week with a 5-0 record and have looked more impressive after each win.
Although we may have to wait another 10 days before we see the blazing speed of wide receiver Christian Kirk and watch defensive end Myles Garrett chase down Jake Coker when they play Alabama in Week 7, we’ve got some updates on the Aggies to keep you entertained.
Here are some of the top Texas A&M stories around the Internet that you may have missed on Tuesday:
- Kicker Taylor Bertolet was named one of the Lou Groza Award’s weekly “Stars of the Week” after connecting on a career-long 55-yard field goal in the Aggies’ 30-17 victory over Mississippi State last Saturday. Bertolet connected on 3-of-4 field goal tries in the win and is now 9-of-11 on field goal attempts in 2015. The senior placekicker seemed to have no problems bouncing back mentally after missing a 38-yard attempt in the previous game against Arkansas, which could have prevented the game from going to overtime – although the Aggies went on to win 28-21.
- Coach Kevin Sumlin told the media he’s waiting to hear back from the SEC regarding clarification with their decision to eject Ricky Seals-Jones for targeting in last Saturday’s game. Sumlin said he’s never had an offensive player flagged for targeting until the sophomore wide receiver got penalized in the second quarter.
- Lufkin High School’s junior wide receiver Dhailon Phillips said his campus visit to College Station last weekend was “the best place I’ve been.” The 6-foot-3, 195-pound listed his early top three choices as Texas A&M, Houston and Texas, and told 247Sports that he’s now been to games at all three schools this season.
- Texas A&M’s defense has looked much improved this year. A big part of that comes from the play of defensive back Donovan Wilson and defensive end Myles Garrett. Wilson has forced five turnovers this season while Garrett has already collected 7.5 sacks.
The best stories around the SEC
- Auburn is moving on after dismissal of Duke Williams.
- Leonard Fournette: “My focus is not on the Heisman.”
- 25 Years Later: “Fifth Down” is still a sore spot for Missouri.
- Tennessee wide receivers coach addressed Butch Jones player punching rumors.
- Vanderbilt picked up commitment from 4-star quarterback.
Oh, nothing. Just a 55-yard FG by Taylor Bertolet. Aggies up 17-3 on Miss State. pic.twitter.com/n07LlVMhMr
— TexasFootball .com (@dctf) October 4, 2015