4 things every Texas A&M fan needs to know today
You’re almost there. It’s almost the weekend. Can you hear it? The cheers erupting from Kyle Field just before kickoff this Saturday against No. 21 Mississippi State? Well, unfortunately we can’t replicate something that incredible, but we can give you just enough Texas A&M news to tide you over until the weekend hits.
Here are the top stories that you may have missed on Wednesday:
- Texas A&M has a new recruiter who may be more in touch with the incoming class than anyone on the Aggies’ coaching staff. Five-star quarterback Tate Martell spoke with the AJC’s SECCountry.com on Wednesday and named a few Texas A&M targets he is actively recruiting to join him in College Station.
- Lost in the joy of last Saturday’s overtime victory over Arkansas was the fact that the Texas A&M offense ran only 16 plays in the first half. Well, coach Kevin Sumlin was asked about that during Wednesday’s SEC teleconference and noted that it was something he’s “never” had happen to him before.
- Ahead of this weekend’s showdown with Mississippi State, Sumlin detailed his respect for the Bulldogs starting quarterback, Dak Prescott. Although he will be tasked with stopping the experienced signal-caller, Sumlin told reporters during Wednesday’s SEC teleconference that “he is everything you want in a quarterback.”
- Texas A&M and Texas may not play annually anymore, but that didn’t stop one of Texas A&M’s regents from taking a shot at the Longhorns on Wednesday. Tony Buzbee thinks it’s a shame that the two schools don’t play anymore, especially because the Aggies could use a couple more “cupcake” games on the schedule.
More top stories from around the SEC:
- Florida coach Jim McElwain announced his starting quarterback for Saturday’s meeting with No. 3 Ole Miss.
- Former UGA running back Herschel Walker is widely regarded as one of the top college football players of all time. That’s why people were so surprised when he said this about LSU star Leonard Fournette.
- Alabama quarterback Jake Coker will make his first road start on Saturday against No. 8 UGA, but Nick Saban doesn’t seem too concerned about his young quarterback.