While some SEC teams like Florida and Ole Miss are furiously trying to fill out their recruiting classes, the 2017 Texas A&M recruiting class looks like it’s just about complete.
There could be a few more small additions to the class through next Wednesday, but with 26 commits, and nine of them already enrolled, Kevin Sumlin and Co. shouldn’t have too much drama come signing day.
The Aggies’ class is highlighted by one of the top linebacker prospects in the country, one of the top dual-threat quarterbacks and a plethora of wide receivers. But the class also has solid depth at every level of the defense. And given the Aggies’ struggles on that side of the ball in recent years, that’s arguably the most important piece of this class.
Here is this week’s Texas A&M recruiting snapshot.
Where Texas A&M’s 2017 recruiting class ranks
Texas A&M is hanging on to its No. 9 ranking, but there’s been movement around the Aggies. Auburn dropped from No. 8 to No. 10, while USC jumped up to No. 8. With Auburn dropping, the Aggies now have the No. 4 class in the SEC.
Who are Texas A&M’s top commitments?
- 4-star (.9680) ILB Anthony Hines (Plano, Texas)
- 4-star (.9626) WR Jhamon Ausbon (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 4-star (.9488) QB Kellen Mond (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 4-star (.9303) S Derrick Tucker (Manvel, Texas)
- 4-star (.9224) WR Hezekiah Jones (Stafford, Texas)
- 4-star (.9065) DT Jayden Peevy (Bellaire, Texas)
- 4-star (.9061) OT Grayson Reed (Houston)
- 4-star (.8928) S Myles Jones (Magnolia, Texas)
Who committed to Texas A&M this week?
Offensive lineman Dan Moore committed on Dec. 12. The Aggies added JUCO defensive end Micheal Clemons two days before that. Given that the Aggies had 26 commitments with almost two months before National Signing Day, adding more than one or two prospects was always going to be difficult.
Who de-committed from Texas A&M this week?
Chronologically speaking, Tyree Owens was the last prospect to de-commit from the Aggies, and he did so back in November.
But another Texas A&M recruit de-commit made news this week, as 4-star running back Travis Etienne announced his commitment to Clemson. The Aggies had been the leaders for a while for the Louisiana tailback, but playing in the “real Death Valley,” was too much to pass on for Etienne.
Who are Texas A&M’s top uncommitted prospects?
- 4-star DE K’Lavon Chaisson (Houston)
- 4-star LB Levi Jones (Austin, Texas)
- 3-star DT Corey Bethley (Katy, Texas)
- 3-star DT Joshua Rogers (Houston)
Texas A&M recruiting class breakdown
- Quarterback (2): Kellen Mond, Connor Blumrick
- Running back (1): Jacob Kibodi
- Wide receiver (4): Jhamon Ausbon, Hezekiah Jones, Roshauud Paul, Camron Buckley
- Tight end (2): Keynel McZeal, Camron Horry
- Offensive line (5): Grayson Reed, Adrian Wolford, Jared Hocker, Carson Green, Dan Moore
- Defensive line (4): Jayden Peevy, Tyree Johnson, Ondario Robinson, Micheal Clemons
- Linebacker (3): Anthony Hines, Santino Marchiol, Devodrick Johnson
- Defensive back (5) Derrick Tucker, Keldrick Carper, Myles Jones, Debione Renfro, Devin Morris
Geography of Texas A&M recruiting class
In-state — 19: Hines, Tucker, Hezekiah Jones, Reed, Devodrick Johnson, Peevy, Myles Jones, Buckley, Paul, Morris, McZeal, Robinson, Horry, Blumrick, Hocker, Renfro, Green, Clemons, Moore
Out-of-state — 7: Ausbon, Mond, Carper, Marchiol, Wolford, Tyree Johnson, Kibodi
Other states and districts represented: Florida (3), Louisiana (2), Oklahoma (1), Washington, D.C. (1).
All rankings provided by the 247Sports composite unless otherwise noted.