It has now been more than a month since Texas A&M recruiting picked up a commitment. But there’s no need to worry just yet.
Kevin Sumlin and staff got back onto the recruiting trail when the contact period resumed this week. With coaches allowed to meet face to face with players again, the Aggies have just under three weeks to lock in their top prospects to round out the 2017 class.
The Aggies class is mostly full, sitting with 26 commitments. Here’s the full breakdown on the state of Texas A&M recruiting.
Where Texas A&M’s 2017 recruiting class ranks
The Aggies held steady at No. 9 in the nation this week and have a sizable lead over Tennessee, which was No. 10. If Auburn, which was No. 8, were to lose a commitment, Texas A&M would likely leapfrog the Tigers.
Who are Texas A&M’s top commitments?
- 4-star (.9620) WR Jhamon Ausbon (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 4-star (.9613) ILB Anthony Hines (Plano, Texas)
- 4-star (.9569) QB Kellen Mond (Bradenton, Fla.)
- 4-star (.9291) S Derrick Tucker (Manvel, Texas)
- 4-star (.9282) WR Hezekiah Jones (Stafford, Texas)
- 4-star (.9133) OT Grayson Reed (Houston)
- 4-star (.8971) OLB Devodrick Johnson (Dallas)
- 4-star (.8929) S Keldrick Carper (Plain Dealing, La.)
Who committed to Texas A&M this week?
There is good news as per SEC Country’s Sam Spiegelman: The Aggies lead for 4-star running back Travis Etienne.
“I really love College Station, it felt like a home away from home, and they’re my leaders honestly,” Etienne told SEC Country.
The Aggies also got good news because offensive lineman Jared Hocker will enroll early. Hocker joins six other Aggies in the process as well.
Excited to say I'll be enrolling in classes next week at A&M #GigEm
— Jared Hocker (@Jared_Hocker) January 13, 2017
Who de-committed from Texas A&M this week?
The Aggies haven’t lost a commitment since November, when JUCO defensive lineman Tyree Owens backed off his pledge.
But the Aggies did lose out on a coveted target, as 4-star defensive back Kendall Sheffield committed to Ohio State. Sheffield was a one-time Alabama player before transferring.
Who are Texas A&M’s top uncommitted prospects?
- 4-star DE K’Lavon Chaisson (Houston)
- 4-star LB Levi Jones (Austin, Texas)
- 4-star RB Travis Etienne (Jennings, La.)
- 3-star DT Joshua Rogers (Houston)
Texas A&M recruiting class breakdown
- Quarterback (2): Kellen Mond, Connor Blumrick
- Running back (1): Jacob Kibodi
- Wide receiver (4): Jhamon Ausbon, Hezekiah Jones, Roshauud Paul, Camron Buckley
- Tight end (2): Keynel McZeal, Camron Horry
- Offensive line (5): Grayson Reed, Adrian Wolford, Jared Hocker, Carson Green, Dan Moore
- Defensive line (4): Jayden Peevy, Tyree Johnson, Ondario Robinson, Micheal Clemons
- Linebacker (3): Anthony Hines, Santino Marchiol, Devodrick Johnson
- Defensive back (5) Derrick Tucker, Keldrick Carper, Myles Jones, Debione Renfro, Devin Morris
Geography of Texas A&M recruiting class
In-state — 19: Hines, Tucker, Hezekiah Jones, Reed, Devodrick Johnson, Peevy, Myles Jones, Buckley, Paul, Morris, McZeal, Robinson, Horry, Blumrick, Hocker, Renfro, Green, Clemons, Moore
Out-of-state — 7: Ausbon, Mond, Carper, Marchiol, Wolford, Tyree Johnson, Kibodi
Other states and districts represented: Florida (3), Louisiana (2), Oklahoma (1), Washington, D.C. (1).