2 things every Vanderbilt fan needs to know today
The Vanderbilt Commodores (3-5, 1-3 SEC) will face the Florida Gators (7-1, 5-1 SEC) in less than a week. The number of injuries are just another problem added to the laundry list of issues Vanderbilt must overcome this season.
Judging by the rising number of turnovers, the quarterback situation still doesn’t appear to have a viable solution. To make matters worse, freshman Kyle Shurmur is dealing with a concussion, so between him, Johnny McCrary, and Wade Freebeck, any of them could take the field on Saturday.
Here are two things to know:
- Vanderbilt has suffered from a ton of injuries, and two players will be out for the remainder of the season. Coach Derek Mason doesn’t know whether or not redshirt sophomore linebacker Nigel Bowden (concussion) and freshman offensive lineman Justin Skule (knee) will be impact players on the field next year, but their absence will be felt in the remaining weeks of the season.
- In light of all of the injuries, one player will be back on the field. Defensive end Caleb Azubike (dental) has been cleared to play and will be back for Florida. The senior is currently No. 2 on the depth chart behind redshirt sophomore Jonathan Wynn.
The best stories around the SEC
- What national media are saying about the first College Football Playoff rankings
- First College Football Playoff rankings released: LSU, Alabama ranked in Top 4
- College Football Playoff committee: Alabama and Florida are “very close”
- LSU and South Carolina to auction off Fournette, Miles and Spurrier memorabilia
- Former Tennessee star Eric Berry to be honored as “Vol for Life Legend of the Game”