3 things every Vanderbilt fan needs to know today
Vanderbilt (3-6, 1-4 SEC) battled it out against Florida (8-1, 6-1 SEC) in the Swamp Saturday. The Commodores led the game up until the close of the third quarter, but the Gators ended up clinching the win and the SEC East.
Austin Hardin’s field goal saved Florida from the upset, and made the final score 9-7. Vanderbilt fell short, but the team that showed up in Gainesville, Fla. today was completely different from the team that Houston shutout last Saturday. The Commodore defense proved itself once again on Saturday, and although the offense has significant room for improvement, sophomore quarterback Johnny McCrary managed to walk away from the game with zero interceptions.
Here are three things to know:
- Coach Derek Mason believes that his Commodores are just as good of a team as the Gators, and the way they competed today appeals to that sentiment. At the end of the day, there were “too many jabs” and “no knockout punch” according to Mason.
- Gainesville, Fla. native Ralph Webb showed up to the Swamp with a chip on his shoulder. Vanderbilt was the only SEC school that offered a scholarship to the running back, and the sophomore felt overlooked by Florida during his recruitment. Webb got the attention of many in his 74-yard touchdown run that gave Vanderbilt a one-point lead for a good portion of the game. Foxsports.com even highlighted the run, which was the longest run of Webb’s career.
- Zach Cunningham and Darreon Herring did a great job shutting down Florida’s offense Saturday. However, they expressed the need for improvement regardless of their noteworthy performance. According to Cunningham, the more the defense does, the easier it is for the struggling Vanderbilt offense to make plays.
The best stories around the SEC
- Dozens of Missouri players cease football-related activities as part of school protest
- Bret Bielema has hilarious slip-up in postgame interview
- 7 highlights from craziest SEC game of the year
- Injured Southern player Devon Gates tweets in support of UGA
- Alabama RB Derrick Henry ties Tim Tebow’s SEC touchdown record