National Signing Day marks another key moment in the tenure of Vanderbilt coach Derek Mason.
After a 5-7 end to his fourth year in charge of the Commodores, Mason will attempt to get Vanderbilt back into postseason play in 2018. A strong finish to his fifth signing class in Nashville would go a long way in doing so, as the Commodores look to replace all-time leading rusher Ralph Webb and several contributors at wide receiver, such as C.J. Duncan, Trent Sherfield and Caleb Scott.
Beginning Wednesday, current Vanderbilt commits can sign their national letters of intent. The Commodores will hope that their remaining targets will make their commitments and sign with the program throughout the day.
According to the 247Sports composite, Vanderbilt had 16 players sign during the Early Signing Period in December, including 4-star prospects Alston Orji, Camron Johnson and Brendan Harris.
The Commodores also have three commits who are expected to sign with the team on National Signing Day.
The annual limit of 25 scholarships per recruiting class leaves Vanderbilt with as many as six slots to fill from a remaining pool of 3- and 4-star targets, most of whom are from around the Southeast.
Vanderbilt’s 2018 recruiting class currently ranks 12th in the SEC and 38th in the nation, according to 247Sports.
Vanderbilt recruiting updates, signee tracker for National Signing Day
Projected Vanderbilt signees on National Signing Day
Three Vanderbilt commits are projected to sign with the Commodores on National Signing Day:
- Lorenza Surgers, defensive end, Cary, N.C.
- Amir Abdur-Rahman, wide receiver, Atlanta, Ga.
- Rayshad Williams, defensive back, Memphis, Tenn.
Vanderbilt signed an additional 16 prospects during the early signing period:
- Tyler Steen, defensive end, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Elijah McAllister, tight end, Rumson, N.J.
- C.J. Bolar, wide receiver, Purvis, Miss.
- Brendon Harris, defensive back, Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Ja’veon Marlow, running back, Winter Haven, Fla.
- Maxwell Worship, defensive back, Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
- Dashaun Jerkins, defensive back, Woodbridge, Va.
- Tre’ Douglas, defensive back, Mcdonough, Ga.
- Wyatt Smock, offensive line, Louisville, Ky.
- Camron Johnson, wide receiver, Brentwood, Tenn.
- Javan Rice, kicker, Miami, Fla.
- Gavin Schoenwald, tight end, Brentwood, Tenn.
- Ben Bresnahan, tight end, Cumming, Ga.
- Alston Orji, linebacker, Rockwall, Texas
- Daniel Dawkins, offensive lineman, Highstown, N.J.
- Allan Walters, quarterback, Hightstown, N.J.
Commitment times for Vanderbilt targets on National Signing Day
- BJ Anderson, wide receiver, Andalusia, Ala., TBA
- Salua Masina, outside linebacker, Salt Lake City, Utah, TBA
- Christian Jones, tackle, Cypress, Texas, TBA
- Justin Oden, wide receiver, Columbia, Tenn., TBA